Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Timeout waiting for output from CGI script (Read 28174 times)
pyragony54
God Member

I Love YaBB!

Re: Timeout waiting for output from CGI script
Reply #24 - Feb 25th, 2015 at 4:25am
Print Post  
Another tip:
The search function should be disabled for guests. Spam bots use the and that can drive the CPU usage even in the height.

Bad manners keep people but the only reason for a kind of privilege, because no skin them on the mouth.

IP Logged

Dandello
Forum Administrator

I love YaBB 2.7!

Reply #23 - Feb 24th, 2015 at 7:22pm
Print Post  
I'll go ahead and post something about this symptom/fix over on YaBBForum. Yours is probably not the only forum that's been attacked this way.

Perfection is not possible. Excellence, however, is excellent.
IP Logged

pyragony54
God Member

I Love YaBB!

Reply #22 - Feb 24th, 2015 at 6:26pm
Print Post  
But one has to imagine this. almost two years, the contribution of age and none of the Windows user has said anything. To me it is not noticed because I rarely use Windows on the Internet. The next time I'll make it but times. Perhaps even appear a few mistakes.

Bad manners keep people but the only reason for a kind of privilege, because no skin them on the mouth.

IP Logged

Dandello
Forum Administrator

I love YaBB 2.7!

Reply #21 - Feb 24th, 2015 at 5:32pm
Print Post  
Glad you found it.  Smiley (You've blocked that bad person/bot, right?)

IP Logged

pyragony54
God Member

I Love YaBB!

Reply #20 - Feb 24th, 2015 at 5:15pm
Print Post  
Thanks to Dandello and special thanks to Monni. Without pointing with the acces.log I had not found the error. Such an not a very nice person (Sorry, but there it is) has a thread with full 50000 Cyrillic characters plastered in a response that actually occupied 250,000 mark. This not re-open the "News" section under Windows. With Linux it was funny enough. Well, the thing has an end after a long time (hopefully).

Google just ran to this category dead and I was ordered.

IP Logged

Dandello
Forum Administrator

I love YaBB 2.7!

Reply #19 - Feb 24th, 2015 at 4:46pm
Print Post  
Talking to JonB - Google actually uses a custom OS so it's unlikely it would be triggering a Win specific problem. HOWEVER, a check of your access logs might shed light on which bot(s) is triggering this.

IP Logged

Dandello
Forum Administrator

I love YaBB 2.7!

Reply #18 - Feb 24th, 2015 at 3:52pm
Print Post  
The timeout warning on backup is one we know about - backing up large forums in a single chunk is problematical and has been for a very long time. (What happens isn't always the backup loop itself but bots and members trying to get in while the forum is in backup mode. That can boost CPU usage through the roof as each 'ping' creates a running instance of YaBB.pl.) JonB and I have discussed this at length.  

The failure on 'board=News' - you may need to actually look at (in Notepad++) the News.txt file in ./Boards and the messages that belong in that board. I'm guessing there's something in there - some characters (possibly hidden), or hidden code, or something else that is creating problems. Since the problem appears to be specific to this one board, the problem must BE in this one board. (In fact, since you report that this problem has been happening for a long time, it may be in an very old message.)

Edited:
And the timout warning on search? - Another long known problem with large forums - YaBB just doesn't have a very efficient search engine.

IP Logged

pyragony54
God Member

I Love YaBB!

Reply #17 - Feb 24th, 2015 at 2:45pm
Print Post  
I think I've found it. The forum "News" can not seem to open Windows. This is followed by Google and other search engines runs that use a Windows system, dead. I can watch the CPU usage increases. With Linux I could open the forum without any problems.

IP Logged

pyragony54
God Member

I Love YaBB!

Reply #16 - Feb 24th, 2015 at 9:42am
Print Post  
Hello, I have found it. The error message is always the same.

Quote:
/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?board=News

I give this command in the address bar (of course, previously the domain prefix), the CPU runs dead. It was not until a restart of Apache you can stop that.

However, there is yet another part of what a [warn] triggers, but I could still find no CPU overload.

Quote:
Timeout waiting for output from CGI script /var/www/vhosts/anti-scam.de/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl, referer: http://anti-scam.de/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB. pl? action = search

Quote:
Timeout waiting for output from CGI script /var/www/vhosts/anti-scam.de/cgi-bin/yabb2/AdminIndex.pl, referer: http://anti-scam.de/cgi-bin/yabb2/AdminIndex.pl?action=runbackup;loop1=4;loop2=1...

Once we make the first move. How do you solve level software. A robots.txt solves the problem probably not permanent. There are search engines that do not comply.

IP Logged

pyragony54
God Member

I Love YaBB!

Reply #15 - Feb 24th, 2015 at 7:04am
Print Post  
@ Dandello

Unfortunately, the problem is not resolved by the change in response # 3. I think we can not even that has to make the server operator. Now I got something in his hand and he can not make excuses himself.

http://www.checkupdown.com/status/E504_de.html

IP Logged

pyragony54
God Member

I Love YaBB!

Reply #14 - Feb 23rd, 2015 at 7:25pm
Print Post  
Okay, I'll look tomorrow more accurate. I'm already too tired.

IP Logged

Monni

Min izāmō

Reply #13 - Feb 23rd, 2015 at 7:21pm
Print Post  
pyragony54 wrote on Feb 23rd, 2015 at 7:16pm:
Everything pretty and beautiful. What can I do about it? The module mod_security away from it all?

You need ssh access to the server to see the mod_security log... It should be in the same physical directory as the error log. You also need root access to edit the mod_security configurations. It is possible to disable single mod_security rule on directory-level.

IP Logged

pyragony54
God Member

I Love YaBB!

Reply #12 - Feb 23rd, 2015 at 7:16pm
Print Post  
Everything pretty and beautiful. What can I do about it? The module mod_security away from it all?

IP Logged

Monni

Min izāmō

Reply #11 - Feb 23rd, 2015 at 7:11pm
Print Post  
pyragony54 wrote on Feb 23rd, 2015 at 6:56pm:
@ Monni

Quote:
66.249.79.97 - - [23/Feb/2015:16:08:45 +0100] "GET /cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?board=News/20 HTTP/1.1" 504 496 "-" "Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; Googlebot/2.1; +http://www.google.com/bot.html)

Matches the IP and time.

HTTP error 504 is usually caused by mod_security or similar module... Apache modules have own verbose log files that list the URL and description of what rule caused the hangup. Usually the page output is too big for the module to parse and it times out.

IP Logged

pyragony54
God Member

I Love YaBB!

Reply #10 - Feb 23rd, 2015 at 6:56pm
Print Post  
@ Monni

Quote:
66.249.79.97 - - [23/Feb/2015:16:08:45 +0100] "GET /cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?board=News/20 HTTP/1.1" 504 496 "-" "Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; Googlebot/2.1; +http://www.google.com/bot.html)

Matches the IP and time.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 
Send TopicPrint